Twenty-somethings generally don't have to do much to have great-looking skin; the irony is that most of us did not appreciate our great skin at that age! As we age, however, our skin changes.
While we still want to look amazing, unfortunately, when we get into our 30's and 40's (and beyond), our skin starts losing some of its firmness and our pores become larger. Adding insult to injury, left to its own devices, skin also looks duller and the appearance of wrinkles increases.
Ugh. Sounds pretty dismal, so far, right? Stick with me here, because there is some good news! As long as our skin care routines are keeping pace, skin doesn't need to look, or feel, dull and dry.
Here are six simple, but important skin care tips for people who, while still young at heart, are no longer in their 20's:
1. Cleanse. 20-somethings may be able to get away with not washing their faces regularly; the rest of us generally aren't that lucky. An exfoliating cleanser will clear away impurities and flaking skin, cleaning out pores. For make-up wearers, it is critical to remove all make-up before bed.
2. Moisturize (part 1). Use a daytime moisturizer with SPF of at least 15 to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
3. Serum. Consider adding a serum into your routine twice daily to infuse extra moisture. Look for serums with retinoids and peptides.
4. Moisturize (part 2). Using a moisturizer specially designed for night time use will help your skin retain moisture as it repairs itself while you sleep.
5. Hydrate. This one applies to anyone at any age, but keeping your body hydrated by drinking water throughout the day will also help the appearance of your skin.
6. Nutrition and exercise. Similar to #5, taking care of your whole self by eating well and exercising regularly will help your skin naturally look its best.
Aging is inevitable, but by taking a little extra time to incorporate these steps into your routine, you can feel confident and be your most beautiful self, knowing you are taking the best care of your skin.